Skip to main content

Deciding to Loc...am I shallow? Oh well!

For some, the decision to loc their hair comes from frustrations of never being able to achieve length either relaxed or natural. That isn't the case for me.


  • I have never had an issue growing healthy hair- I am thankful to say that I haven't had any issues with breakage or thinning edges.
  • My hair type/texture/density isn't emotionally overwhelming for me. I am not at my whit's end as to what to do with my hair.
  • I have been natural for over a decade. I chose to relax and texturise once each and I never even retouched either process. I wasn't a transitioner- my longest transition was the from the waiting chair to the barber's chair LOL!
  • I am a DIY'er, so the costs/expense of keeping up my hair has never been a huge budget item.




Why am I going to wear locs (Sisterlocks (TM) specifically)? I just want to. I don't have a deep spiritual reason. If I had to just say "something" it would be the following:


  • I have worn yarn braids over the past few years and really liked the look of locs. I even had some people mistake them for locs- color me flattered!
  • I already spend several hours about once every 4-6 weeks taking down and re-styling my hair into protective styles such as crochet weave, yarn braids, etc. I don't have an issue committing to a re-tightening schedule.
  • I have grown my hair to  waist length, but I never wore it "out" because I didn't want to maintain that much loose natural hair.
  • I can wear protective styles for months on end; but I would like to wear my hair out more without having to maintain it or cause breakage due to having to detangle more often, etc.
  • Locs would fit my active lifestyle. Wake up and go? Low maintenance? Sign me up!
  • I've done just about everything else: color, low cut, long hair, relaxed, texurised, crochet weave, kinky twists, yarn twists, yarn braids, two strand twists, single strand twists, coils, etc 
  • I am ready to (partially) hang up my Natural Hair DIY badge. Yet, I don't see myself ever wearing my hair relaxed and I am so "over" wearing protective styles that include weaves.
  • While I appreciate locs in all forms (traditional, free-form, etc) I have always been drawn to the "manicured" look of Sisterlocks(TM). I am somewhat of a perfectionist- the grid...yes! I love the precision!

Popular posts from this blog

Loc Styles Series for Short/Medium Locs

Does anyone read these posts? Leave a comment so I know I am not typing to myself. I started a Loc Style Series for Short/Medium Locs on my Youtube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/p31diva) and thought I would share over here as well! keywords: sisterlocks style tutorials, sisterlocks styles, styles for short locs, styles for medium locs, loc styles for women, loc style tutorials for short sisterlocks, loc style tutorials for medium sisterlocks, spin pins ,five minute loc styles, quick loc style tutorials, easy loc style tutorials, loc updo tutorial, loc updo style for short to medium locs

The Sisterlocks Customer Starter Kit

The Official Sisterlocks Starter Kit should be included as part of the 3 part package per the Sisterlocks Website . My consultant gave me mine at the end of my establishment.  

Preparing my Hair for Sisterlocks

Following is how I plan to prepare my hair for both my Sisterlocks consultation and establishment appointments.   15 days until establishment Remove last weave-based protective style Shampoo and Deep Condition Hair Style: two flat twists   12 days until establishment Shampoo with Protein Treatment Hair Style: 2 flat twists 10 days until establishment Shampoo ONLY Consultation and Test Loc Establishment Day Post-Test Loc Hair Style: 2 flat twists two strand twists 4 days until establishment Shampoo, Protein Treatment* and Deep Condition Hair Style: 2 flat twists   0 days until establishment Shampoo ONLY *I am still debating on this 2nd Protein Treatment