Skip to main content

My First Retightening

I had my first retightening session on 12/10/2015. My consultant had the following comments/remarks about my hair (click here for the video):

Post-Shampoo  Maintenance
I have not been properly separating my new growth at the base of my locs. I am a bit tender-headed, so it hurt a little as she separated my locs- it wasn't unbearable.

My consultant re-educated me with a hands-on demonstration of what I should do as part of my post-shampoo and to a lesser extent "daily" maintenance.

Avoiding Exercise-induced Slippage
My consultant advised me to cornrow my edges before shampooing and exercising.

Presently, I am exercising EVERY day (my burpee challenge ends on 12/31/2015), so the thought of cornrowing my edges daily is a bit disappointing. I will definitely cornrow before shampooing, and will make a sincere effort on the daily cornrowing  (braid out anyone?)


Future Retie Schedule
Every 6 weeks. My hair is ultra frizzy, but my consultant says if I can tolerate the frizz I can visit every 6 weeks. This is good since even if I have to pay for an extra half hour of time, I will save in the 4 hour round trip of time and gas by not having to go for a monthly retie. Not to mention Superman and the young men's lives will be disrupted less often.

I scheduled my next 3 reties for January, March and April. By then, I will be ready to take the retightening class. I am not sure if I will ever tackle my entire head, but I want to be able to touch up my front if necessary.

I am reconsidering switching consultants after 6 months- I really love being around all the positive energy and conversing with fellow loc rockers at the salon!

Locking Pattern Changes
I was retightened with a Reverse 4 (same used for my establishment) because I still had some slippage. If I don't have any slippage next time, she will switch me to a 3 pattern.

I am excited for that because from my conversations with my consultant, I ultimately want very full locs that allow my curl pattern to show a bit more,  hence the fullness.This is definitely motivation to cornrow my edges LOL

I plan to record the following areas during my updates:

  • Weeks since last retie: 3 weeks 6 days
  • Length of retie: about 3.5 hours
  • Slippage/Loc Repair: about 4-5 locs were re-established due to slippage around my temple
  • Length: nothing noticed
  • Fullness: nothing noticed
  • Buds: n/a
  • Sealed ends: n/a
  • Other noteworthy items:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sisterlocks Customer Starter Kit

The Official Sisterlocks Starter Kit should be included as part of the 3 part package per the Sisterlocks Website . My consultant gave me mine at the end of my establishment.  

Loc Styles Series for Short/Medium Locs

Does anyone read these posts? Leave a comment so I know I am not typing to myself. I started a Loc Style Series for Short/Medium Locs on my Youtube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/p31diva) and thought I would share over here as well! keywords: sisterlocks style tutorials, sisterlocks styles, styles for short locs, styles for medium locs, loc styles for women, loc style tutorials for short sisterlocks, loc style tutorials for medium sisterlocks, spin pins ,five minute loc styles, quick loc style tutorials, easy loc style tutorials, loc updo tutorial, loc updo style for short to medium locs

Preparing my Hair for Sisterlocks

Following is how I plan to prepare my hair for both my Sisterlocks consultation and establishment appointments.   15 days until establishment Remove last weave-based protective style Shampoo and Deep Condition Hair Style: two flat twists   12 days until establishment Shampoo with Protein Treatment Hair Style: 2 flat twists 10 days until establishment Shampoo ONLY Consultation and Test Loc Establishment Day Post-Test Loc Hair Style: 2 flat twists two strand twists 4 days until establishment Shampoo, Protein Treatment* and Deep Condition Hair Style: 2 flat twists   0 days until establishment Shampoo ONLY *I am still debating on this 2nd Protein Treatment